Phew, finally made it through the week, and finally feel like updating this wretched record.
Long story short, I take my N.U.T.M.E.G. dec. to practice and get creamed, inside and out, by my teammates, who went up easily many levels of skill since our days at school. Honestly, to be able to maintain such a high standard, kudos to them.
Here are the decks I faced:
Vampires: Got owned while stabilizing by that creature I copied the other day. Apparently he drew into extra copies :(
Jund: 'Nuff Said. I got pwned.
R/B A.N. Sligh: A rogue deck by JVL, which I feel should be called a zoo deck, due to the no. of one drops. Brendan decided to sling it. Close match, but in the end, got ran over by an entire bunch of 1-drops.
U/W Control: A really awesome deck I'm proud to faced up against, built up by Brendan, modified by Wesley. Honestly guys, if you 2 start working together like this, our team would be UNSTOPPABLE. Really, it was an absolute pain to go up against, always had removal or counter on hand, Solid Game Finisher in Iona. Pounded it when Wesley piloted it, lost 2-1 when Brendan did. Okay, maybe it needs some work, but then again you had no idea how to run it then.
G/W Eldrazi: This one was a wacky game. It went a FULL HOUR in a STALEMATE. Serious. Then again Brendan made some misplays. Oh well.
Therefore, I want to display some problems of the N.U.T.M.E.G.
#1: I have to w8 until my forces are assembled before I could beat face. This, I do not like, because I want to be smashing away, not stoning there like some dope.
#2: All my games dragged too long. This doesn't bode well, I need to finish at least 2 games withing 50mins per round. I can't go 1HR, that would be stupid. Ah well.
#3: No protection. Gawd, many times I build up, many times I got blown out by a wrath. This sucks.
#4: No solid solutions. Iona locks out my green, no token making, no beats. Blue, no solutions. Damn.
On the other hand, this would make a good multi-player deck. Loads of dudes means I can be smashing 24/7. So fun. ALL it needs is some counters.
Alrighty then, time to put aside N.U.T.M.E.G. for the time being. Onwards then.
The next deck tactic I want to try out has been my favourite since my Duelmasters days.
First let's look at the tactics based on it: THE 3Ds of R/B:
Discard
Destroy
Disrupt/enial
Alright, the 3Ds form the basis of my deck idea. But 1st look at the meta. The decks are, like the climate, based on extremes- SUPER FAST Aggro, SUPER SLOW Control, IN BETWEEN Midrange. right then.... Aggro decks in the meta suffer a bit. That doesn't stop them from emptying their hand in an accelerated rate, stripping resources, Stomping life counts down to 0.
On the other hand, Mid-range to Control's gotta wait till the onslaught's over right? Till then, their resources- and life are ripe for the taking. What better way to do this then with fast beats, loads of burn, loads more removal, and DISCARD- LOADS of it :)?
So then, first we gotta have conditions:
#1: It's basically a hit-and-run operation or for your hapless foe - EAT and RUN :) You gotta make sure when you hit, you sustain near to nothing losses. This is important especially in the early game, when resources are king. ON the other hand, you gotta make them attacks as frequent as possible. Never give'em a breather.
#2: Never run out of threats - you need them if the game drags too long.
#3: Commit as much as you like, but never over-commit- You don't want to get blown out by wraths. But commit if your dudes are dominating.
#4: Stick CA around if possible- cos everyone likes a lttle bit now and then.
#5: Follow the 3Ds closely, will surely lead your to the right path.
Alright, now that that's done and dealt with, lets go over the elements of the deck- mainly, the cards.
D#1: Discard (I like this best.)
Sedraxis Specter: Flying, efficient, rips out hand whenever it hits, 4-of. NOW.
Blightning: Rips out hand and spits at your foe's face while doing it? I gotta admit, it's got spunk.
Mind Rot: Another card that rips for 2, more manafriendly too.
Slavering Nulls: Does what Specter does, albeit w/o evasion and less dmg. Good though.
Duress: No one likes to see their hand ripped apart, less so if it's done clinically.
Rotting Rats: I dunno, seems pretty meh. I wish Ravenous Rats were still in. :(
Sanity Gnawers: Hehe, at random too.
Scepter of Fugue: need some commitment, gets the job done though.
D#2: Destroy
Typically, anything that send opponent's monsters to the graveyard goes under there. 'Nuff Said.
D#3: Disrupt/enial
Counters, Mana denial, and silver bullets go in here.
Well, that's all I'm gonna cover, I gotta go sleep. Will be back tmrw with a deck :)
No comments:
Post a Comment