Saturday, July 17, 2010

Never hurts to have fun, but do your work please.

What? 2 Months Already? Man that was Fast. Nah, joking. I only came back to post. I'll be updating once in a while, just that my schedule is unsuitable for an
everyday entry.

That Saturday, I finished off some work I had. Still got some left, but at least
it's in a qty. that I can tackle by this afternoon, which is today, the day of post.
So afterwards I went off to Brendan's for Draft.

At the Draft...

I opened quite a few excellent cards, including 3 copies of Excommunicate, 2 Plummets, an Obstinate Baloth, 2 copies of Duskdale Wurm, and Overwhelming Stampede. I also drafted alot of early game Defenders and plenty of Life Gain. End-result?
A G/W Deck with enough fatties and early gamers to be competitive throughout, and puts games away with Overwhelming Stampede. Here's how I did:

Game 1~2: VS Brendan playing Mono-red.

Well, this is my friend Brendan. Excellent player, loves dragons, and practically worships Ninjas. He managed to draft Mono-Red since he noticed a trend that there were plenty of lack-luster Red cards that can add up when played as a single-color.
He also managed to snitch a bomb, Ancient Hellkite. No important Burn Spells though,
Although Fling was pretty excellent in the games to come. However, against my deck, here's what happened...

Game 1: He had a early start with Goblin Balloon Brigade, and was pounding away until I played Ajani's Mantra to stop him in his tracks. Soon afterwards Obtinate Baloth came down on my side, and it was a race. He played Arc Runner, whacked me around for 6, and Flung the would-be-dead-soon Runner at my Baloth. But I had another Fatty and 1 more Mantra, and when I said gain 2, it was on to game 2.

On to Game 2. He had a pretty good start again, but I quickly stabilized. However, he was churning out Goblin Balloon Brigade after Goblin Ballon Brigade, followed by a Molten Firehound, which got excommunicated, and an Earth Servant, which knocked me down to 10. I drew my card, played Spined Wurm, followed by Overwhelming Stampede the next. He had an Answer, and could have won if he had just flung his servant at the Wurm, and attack me with a 8-timed pumped Firehound the next. He didn't lol.

Stampede Kills: 1

Next 2 Games were with Wesley. He was tricky, had a lot of strong cards including a Baneslayer. He hit me a ton of times with his Conumdrum Sphinx, which got excommunicated twice before I pacified it. Now that was out of the way, I quickly set-up a counter-attack and finished him with massive chunks of damage thanks to Overwhelming Stampede. After that game, he showed me his Baneslayer, which got stuck in his hand due to him being unable to play it due to being unable to draw a 2nd plains. Good thing too.

Stampede Kills: 2 (Double Kill!)

Game Two was less complicated. No annoying bombs this time, but to be careful I had sided in my 2 Plummets. None of them came out that game, and though he kept bouncing my fatties with Unsummons and Aether Adepts, he was unable to stem the tide and again fell to a Stampede. Triple Kill for the Stampede!

Stampede Kills: 3

Last 2 was with Kenta. He's a really nice chap, a Track and Field Member, and had somehow chalked up a Bant 60-Card Monster in Draft. I got seriously Mana-Flooded that game while he got Mana-Screwed. But after 7 turns he started chalking up lands, got a few creature-accelerants, and dropped fatty after fatty, including Sun Titan and Vengeful Archon, all supported with the Sword of Vengeance. Needless to say, despite some handy Blinding Mage stalling, I lost that one.

Game 2 was... different. I got my lands this time, as well as some handy utility cards. Not much from his side other than the Llanowar Elf, Serra Angel, which got Excommunicated twice before being Plummeted, and Stormfront Pegasus, which also got Excommunicated. He scooped after a while, and we agreed on a draw since they all gtg.

Well, I really appreciated the advice I got from last week, and I really enjoyed myself. Overwhelming Stampede's an excellent Finisher, as long as you got fatties to support it. So anyway, I finished my G/W Tokens Dec. Here's a list:

Lands:
4 Khalni Garden
12 Forests
7 Plains
23 Lands

4 Bird of Paradise
4 Squadron Hawk
4 Elvish Visionary
2 Sylvan Elf
4 Nest Invader
2 Brindle Boar
4 Kozilek's Predator
24 Creatures

3 Beastmaster's Ascension
4 Cultivate
3 Conqueror's Pledge
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Behemoth Sledge
2 Elixer of Immortality
15 Other Spells

Not really Tournament-ready yet, but did it prove itself in multi-player! I was always the silent builder, building my forces before the big spell played out.
Cards that didn't really prove itself were Brindle Boar and the Elixer. Maybe it needs some work. I'll cut some lands for more accelerants like Llanowar and Arbor, and maybe add a few big hitters like Obstinate Baloth and Garruk Wildspeaker And I'll tell you how it went next post.

Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment